World Telecommunication and Information Society Day is celebrated annually to help raise awareness of the possibilities that the use of the Internet and other information and communication technologies (ICT) can bring to societies and economies, as well as of ways to bridge the digital divide.
It is celebrated on 17 May since 1969, which marks the anniversary of the signing of the first International Telegraph Convention and the creation of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) in 1865.
Discover some of the Horizon 2020 projects managed by HaDEA and their work in the ICT domain:
- iNGENIOUS designed the Next-Generation of internet of things (NG-IoT) technology to add digital value to future supply chains. It also proposed technical and business enablers to build a complete platform for supply chain management. Formed by 21 partners from 8 countries, including telecommunications vendors and manufacturers, logistic partners, universities, the project addressed interoperability between IoT and blockchain platforms for transport.
- OPHELLIA is fabricating novel building blocks for Light detection and ranging LIDAR, namely silicon nitride photonic chips, to produce high-performance laser sources with unprecedented coherence and power. The project is working on the widespread commercialisation of compact LIDAR systems, which serve market demands for their use on platforms ranging from robots, drones, and autonomous vehicles.
- ELENA is developing photonic building blocks based on promising lithium niobate to improve the existing functionalities of PICs and enable novel ones. The project will ensure their rapid and streamlined application via associated packaging that allows interfacing with optical fibres and is compatible with other PIC platforms. The technology will be showcased in four PIC prototypes in the fields of telecommunications, quantum technologies and microwave photonics.
Horizon 2020 was the EU’s multiannual funding programme between 2014 and 2020. H2020 provided Research and Innovation (R&I) funding for multi-national collaboration projects alongside individual researchers and SMEs via special funding instruments. Horizon 2020 was continued by the Horizon Europe Programme, which will run until 2027.
- Ημερομηνία δημοσίευσης
- 17 Μαΐου 2023
- Ημερομηνία δημοσίευσης
- Ευρωπαϊκός Εκτελεστικός Οργανισμός για την Υγεία και τον Ψηφιακό τομέα
- Programme Sector
- Horizon EuropeHorizon Europe Cluster 4: Digital
- Digital transformationEU financingEUFundedInnovation