The European Health and Digital Executive Agency (HaDEA) manages European programmes and initiatives on behalf of the European Commission.
It works closely together with its parent Directorate-Generals which are focused on legislative and strategic tasks in policy making. These are specifically DG CNECT, DEFIS, GROW, RTD and SANTE which is the lead DG for the HaDEA.
The HaDEA addresses the European Commission’s ambition to help rebuild a post-COVID-19 Europe at its heart, which will be greener, more digital, more resilient and better fit for the current and forthcoming challenges.
The HaDEA will contribute to above ambition by implementing the following programmes (with indicative budget):
- EU4Health programme: €5,1 billion;
- Horizon Europe: Pillar II, Cluster 1: Health: €4,8 billion;
- Single Market Programme: Food safety: health for humans, animals and plants along the food chain and better training for safer food: €1,3 billion;
- Digital Europe Programme: €0,8 billion;
- Connecting Europe Facility: Digital: €1,7 billion;
- Horizon Europe: Pillar II, cluster 4: Digital, Industry and Space: €5,5 billion.
From 2021 to 2023, additional budget amounting to €1,6 billion will also available from the New Generation EU fund for actions that are part of the Digital and Health strands of the Horizon Europe programme.
The expected total budget managed by the HaDEA will amount to over €20 billion over the 7 years period of the 2021-2027 Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF).
In addition, the Agency will take over the outstanding financial commitments and projects from the predecessor programmes (“legacy”).
Executive Agencies are established by the European Commission in accordance with Council Regulation (EC) No 58/2003 with the purpose of delegating certain tasks relating to the management of Union programmes, including budget implementation. This enables the Commission to focus on its core activities and to dispose of sufficient technical expertise for the management of such programmes in a specialised Agency.
The European Health and Digital Executive Agency (HaDEA) was established on 16 February 2021 to allow for all necessary administrative preparations before its operational kick off on 1 April 2021.
Key documents related to the establishment of HADEA:
- Single Establishment Act - Executive agencies 2021-2027;
- HaDEA - Act of delegation and annex;
- HaDEA - Specific Financial Statement;
- Communication to the Commission on the delegation of the management of the 2021-2027 programmes to Executive Agencies;
- Guidelines for the establishment and operation of Executive Agencies.