How crucial are audiovisual documents? The aim of the World Day for Audiovisual Heritage (WDAH), celebrated annually on 27 October, is to acknowledge its importance and raise general awareness on the need to take urgent measures in this regard.
Audiovisual content has the power to tell us stories about people all around Europe and beyond. Europeana aggregates audiovisual material from a huge variety of collections and organisations across the European continent and offers its users a unique opportunity to access this content online. Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) Programme has funded projects that managed to further increase the outreach and impact of the available audiovisual material on Europeana.
- Europeana Media project (1 September 2018 to 29 February 2020) built an open-source universal audiovisual player on Europeana that allows video and audio materials to be experienced, shared and reused in different contexts. The player has contributed significantly to improve user experience on Europeana platform and increase the appeal, visibility and reuse of Europe’s audiovisual (AV) heritage content. The version with the full set of functionalities can be found on EUscreen.
- CultureMoves (1 September 2018 to 29 February 2020) is another initiative that has paid particular attention to the importance of video in the content revolution. One of the main outcomes of this project was the production of a digital tool, MotionNotes, a web-based video annotator designed for dancers and choreographers. The tool allows users to record videos and take notes over the footage at the same time, including drawings, text, voiceover, marks and web URL links to edit and enrich video performances.
- Europeana XX - Century of Change project (1 March 2020 to 30 November 2021), produced a series of audience engagement events called “subtitle-a-thons”. They are crowdsourcing initiatives that allow citizens to create and add subtitles to archival audiovisual content coming from various European AV collections, using the online subtitle editor embedded in the Europeana Media player. These online events are part of an awareness raising campaign led by the project about the value of multilingual access to AV archival footage.
- 27. oktober 2021
- Programme Sector
- Connecting Europe Facility 1
- Digital technologyEUFunded