World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (WTISD) is celebrated annually on 17 May since 1969, to commemorate the foundation of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) in 1865.
The theme of 2022 is ‘Digital technologies for older persons and healthy ageing’. While the theme of the event changes every year, its primary goal is to promote the possibilities for economic and social prosperity at a global scale, coming from the Internet and other information technologies.
The role of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) is crucial, being one of the key drivers for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth.
HaDEA contributes to the development of a digital and connected society by implementing EU digital programmes.
Digital Europe Programme
The Digital Europe Programme (DEP) will build on and continue to support the work of SICs which has already been carried out under the Connecting Europe Facility Telecom programme between 2015 and 2021. DEP aims to build the strategic digital capacities of the EU and to facilitate the wide deployment of digital technologies. With an overall budget of €7.5 billion, out of which €0.8 billion is managed by HaDEA, the programme will support investments in the following sectors:
- High Performance Computing
- Cloud, data and Artificial Intelligence
- Advanced digital skills
- Accelerating best use of technologies
HaDEA manages actions under Cloud, data and Artificial Intelligence, Advanced Digital Skills and Accelerating best use of technologies.
Connecting Europe Facility Digital
The second generation of the Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) Digital strand aims to support and catalyse investments in European digital connectivity infrastructures of common interest.
CEF Digital will improve, secure and innovate connectivity infrastructures such as Gigabit and 5G networks across Europe. These actions will receive more than €1 billion in funding for the first three years (2021-2023). Out of this budget, HaDEA will manage more than €710 million.
The first calls under CEF Digital managed by HaDEA covered the following areas:
- 5G coverage along transport corridors
- 5G for Smart Communities
- Backbone networks for pan-European cloud federations
- Backbone connectivity for Digital Global Gateways
- Programme Support Actions for Operational Digital Platforms and 5G connectivity infrastructures.
Horizon Europe Cluster 4 – Digital
Horizon Europe Cluster 4 – Digital covers the development of key and emerging digital technologies and focuses on maintaining an ethical, human-centred approach. Managed by HaDEA, the digital part of Cluster 4 aims to deliver on a green and digital transformation to ensure competitiveness for European businesses. HaDEA’s role includes overseeing the legacy programme Horizon 2020 and will be to manage scientific projects under the following destinations:
- Resilient Industry
- Digital and Emerging Technologies
- Human-Centered and Ethical digital technologies
The WiFi4EU initiative promotes free Wi-Fi connectivity for citizens and visitors in public spaces throughout Europe. More than 6,000 municipalities across Europe have already successfully completed their WiFi4EU installation. The programme’s vouchers worth €15 000 were distributed through calls for applications in the 2018-2020 period and can be used to:
- install a new public Wi-Fi network;
- upgrade an existing public Wi-Fi network;
- share your access points with one or more neighbouring municipalities.
The implementation is still ongoing for around 30% of all beneficiaries.
- Data de publicação
- 17 maio 2022
- Agência Executiva Europeia da Saúde e do Digital
- Programme Sector
- Horizon EuropeHorizon Europe Cluster 4: DigitalWiFi4EU InitiativeConnecting Europe Facility 2Digital Europe Programme
- Digital single marketDigital technologyDigital transformationEUFundedInnovation