The second generation of the Connecting Europe Facility's Digital strand aims to support and catalyse investments in European digital connectivity infrastructures of common interest.
CEF Digital will improve, secure and innovate connectivity infrastructures such as Gigabit and 5G networks across Europe. These actions will receive more than €1 billion in funding for the first three years (2021-2023). Out of this budget, HaDEA will manage more than €710 million.
CEF Digital will support the following key actions:
- Deployment of 5G infrastructures in Europe, in particular 5G coverage along cross-border corridors and 5G for smart communities.
- Deployment of new or significant upgrade of existing backbone networks, including cloud federations, ultra-secure quantum communication infrastructures and submarine cables, to improve the performance of the electronic communications networks within and between Member States and between the Union and third countries.
- Implementation of digital connectivity infrastructures related to cross-border projects in the areas of transport or energy and/or supporting operational digital platforms directly associated to transport or energy infrastructures.
The first calls for CEF Digital managed by HaDEA will be launched in January 2022 and will cover the following areas:
- 5G coverage along transport corridors
- 5G for Smart Communities
- Backbone networks for pan-European cloud federations
- Backbone connectivity for Digital Global Gateways
- Programme Support Actions for Operational Digital Platforms and 5G connectivity infrastructures.
The date for the info day will be announced soon.
Additional info and useful links
For background information and additional detail regarding the adoption of the digital work programme, check out the official press release.
- Programme Sector
- Connecting Europe Facility 2
- Digital technologyDigital transformationEUFunded