The goal of the EU Cancer Mission is to improve the lives of more than 3 million people by 2030 through prevention, cures, and for those affected by cancer and their families, to live longer and better.
On 22 December 2021, HaDEA launched 3 calls for proposals under the Horizon Europe programme to contribute to the swift implementation of the EU Cancer Mission.
12 projects were shortlisted for a total funding of €125.6 million. The projects involve 243 research teams from 25 countries in Europe and beyond to:
- Develop new methods and technologies for cancer screening and early detection (€60 million), for instance by developing a blood test for early detection of pancreatic cancer; novel, practical and low-cost screening technologies for colorectal cancer screening; and accurate, harmless and non-contact screening technologies for breast cancer screening.
- Develop and validate a set of quality of life and patient preference measures for cancer patients and survivors (€11 million). The selected project will develop a unified system for the assessment of quality of life of cancer patients and survivors, based on their evaluations and preferences.
- Better understanding of the impact of risk factors and health determinants on the development and progression of cancer (€54.6 million). This includes the study of environmental factors contributing to liver cancer; the discovery of risk factors that contribute to lung cancer and the understanding of risk factors for childhood, adolescence and young adults cancer.
- Publication date
- 3 February 2023
- European Health and Digital Executive Agency
- Programme Sector
- Horizon EuropeHorizon Europe Cluster 1: Health
- AWPEU financingEUCancerPlanEUFundedHealthUnionMedical researchProposalsPublic health