Measures during proposal evaluation, grant agreement preparation and project lifetime with a view to security sensitive and classified content
Horizon Europe Space aims at “Open strategic autonomy in developing, deploying and using global space-based infrastructures, services, applications and data”.
As a consequence of this ambition, there are participation restrictions for some topics, while for others the participating countries may wish to restrict access to certain project results. In this regard, Art.20 of the Regulation (EU) 2021/695 establishing Horizon Europe sets the foundations for the protection of information in the Programme. Specific topics in the HE work programme may be flagged as security sensitive.
HaDEA is equipped to handle projects with sensitive or classified content.
The list below presents preliminary information and provides links to relevant more detailed documentation.
- Proposals should never contain classified information; however, project activities/documentation may contain such information. Therefore, applicants should reply to a security self-assessment questionnaire at proposal stage;
- To determine their status, proposals may have to undergo a security scrutiny, a process in which national security authorities of the participating countries decide for which elements of the projects is needed to enhance the protection of the information (limited dissemination or security classification);
- Depending on the decisions of the security scrutiny, certain conditions may apply before grant agreements can be signed by HaDEA for the concerned projects;
- During and after the project lifetime, certain rules must be followed as documented in:
- the definition and the general principle for handling EU Classified information (EUCI) as in the Commission Decision 444/2015 and
- the Commission Decision (EU, Euratom) 2021/259 of 10 February 2021 laying down implementing rules on industrial security with regard to classified grants;
Further information about the sensitive or classified content for projects can be found here: