'Better Training for Safer Food' (BTSF) is an European Commission initiative designed to develop an EU training strategy in the areas of food law, feed law, animal health, animal welfare rules and plant health rules.
The initiative is intended for all officials of Member State competent authorities who are involved in official control activities, so as they keep abreast with all aspects of Community law in the areas mentioned above and ensure that controls are carried out in a uniform, objective and adequate manner in all Member States.
Article 130 of Regulation (EU) 2017/625 on official controls performed to ensure the verification of compliance with feed and food law, animal health and animal welfare rules, provides the legal instrument for this initiative.
Main objectives of BTSF
- To ensure and maintain a high level of consumer protection and of animal health, animal welfare and plant health;
- To improve and harmonise Community and national control procedures;
- To create an equal level playing field for all food businesses;
- To safeguard the safety of food imports from third countries on the EU market, and to reduce risks for EU consumers;
- To boost trade of safe food;
- To ensure fair trade with third countries and in particular developing countries.